Friday, 19 June 2009
NWG is off to the Oval (again) today. She feels that perhaps that because she's been so often that she should get 20% off all food and drink and a decent seat.
And she has thought long and hard and has made the important decision to support the West Indies.
Why you ask? Well, these are the reasons:
1. Because NWG has seen them more than any other team and save for the South Africa game, they have won every time. Clearly she is a good luck charm.
2. Her friend is West Indian, well technically she's French, ok, so it's complicated, and she will be at the cricket with them. It would seem rather churlish to support Sri Lanka to simply even out the numbers.
3. Because West Indies beat England it seems natural to want them to win the tournament and thereby making England's exit slightly more acceptable.
4. Because she wants to.
5. Because she wants to see another Chris Gayle- Australia performance. That is twenty20 batting at its best.
6. Because she's really tired and can't make any solid, educational reasons to support Sri Lanka right now; West Indies seems like the easier option.
Wednesday, 17 June 2009
Some say that England's exit from the Twenty20 gives them more time to concentrate on some piddly little tests coming up.
Some say that this will give England time to get their plans into action.
Some say it's a blessing in disguise.
Some say England were never going to do that well anyway.
Well. NWG is feeling very pessimistic today.
England needed to do better. England require momentum.
NWG feels that England are in some kind of traffic jam at the moment.
Monday, 15 June 2009
What are they laughing about?
NWG has just returned from the Oval and she has had an interesting day.
First the gripes:
1. England won the toss and should have batted second.
2. The weather had obviously come from the West Indies.
3. KP should have scored more runs.
4. Actually the whole team should have scored more runs.
1. NWG never believed that England would make it out of the group stage, let alone get to the semi-final, so she's not too disappointed.
2. She is reminding herself that it is only a game (that's a tough one).
3. It is a fact that the West Indies are a better twenty20 side than England.
4. She was at least at the game of the tournament (India v England).
5. English weather is a curse.
Sunday, 14 June 2009
So NWG is three quarters of the way through her cricket marathon this weekend, but today she feels slightly sick.
She watched West Indies v India on Friday and it was a great game. West Indies deserved to win; they played better, they batted brilliantly and India never really got going.
Now today England is faced with an Indian team who have to win, who are defending their crown and who have to prove their worth.
In other words, this is the worst match England could face.
If NWG thinks logically about it, then England could win. England beat West Indies in the warm up, West Indies beat India, thereby England should be able to beat India. If only logic had anything to do with winning a game of cricket.
Alas, it does not.
NWG has a nasty feeling about this day....